Sunday, October 23, 2011

Samuel The Lamanite

In Helaman 13: 32-33 Samuel the Lamanite uses a poetic structure known as "parallelism of specification" that is a very common form of biblical poetry.  It states "O that I had repented, and had not killed the prophets, and stoned them and cast them out."  Its obvious that Samuel was influenced by Nephi's earlier description of the inhabitants of Jerusalem, only he did his in reverse order.

Biblical scholars have recently recognized this literary device used in times of old to draw attention.  So litteraly samuel as well as writers and biblical poets of old hoped that the reader would recognize the obvious error, thus causing the reader to pay more attention to the text as a whole. 

Samuel the Lamanite

3 comments:

  1. I like your blogs. I've browsed through both and they are both just simple and straightforward interesting points. I've sent my in-laws to them, as they are seeking information on the Book of Mormon. They are also Livingstons. Thank you for the art, for the research, and for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much!! I really need to update this blog and get better at updating the "inthecavityofarock" on a more steady basis. I've got an update coming this weekend. I hope your in laws like them. If they ever have any questions tell them to post it or they can just email me. I'm always ready to clarify anything I may not have elaborated on...Once again thanks!

      Delete
  2. I would love it if you published a book. I love your illustrations and I think they would be an excellent companion to my son's scriptures. Do you publish prints of your artwork? Also, I like your thoughts and insights. Very cool blog. I actually found this site by your artwork.

    ReplyDelete